Friday, January 13, 2012

2012 KCCC Opens with a Gambit

White to play after 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 b5 3.Bxb5 c6
I have annotated Goeller-Komunicky, from the 21st Annual Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, which began on Thursday night with a strong turnout.  My game featured the old Anderssen Gambit 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 b5.  I can't decide how to annotate that move now, since on close analysis it almost seems playable, especially after the book line (which I chose) with 3.Bxb5 c6 4.Be2(?!) Nf6 5.d3 d5 6.f4 which should grant Black equality after 6...dxe4! with the idea of 7.fxe5 Bc5! Fortunately my opponent played differently and I won a nice game.  In the future, I will have to remember that best is 4.Ba4! heading for a sort of Evans Gambit reversed with an extra tempo for White, as I discuss in my notes.

No comments: