Wednesday, June 21, 2006

More Anti-Vienna


diagram

Keogh-Emms
Black to move and force mate.

I remembered shortly after my last post that there was a great set of articles by Tim McGrew a while back at ChessCafe that painted an encouraging picture for White in the line 1. e4 e5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. f4!? (a favorite of Weaver Adams). They are still available in the ChessCafe archives as Blindsided and Shall We Dance? Reading them now, I'm reminded of how I rather miss McGrew's stuff, which was always interesting.

However, as usual, the picture he presents for the gambiteer is rather one-sided. Sure, White has practical chances, but it is not something I'd want to play -- especially after seeing the game Keogh-Emms, Dublin 1991 where White gets slaughtered in this line (see diagram above). I am more interested than ever in returning to 1.e4 e5 as Black after seeing that game....

No comments: